GQ food writer Alan Richman travelled more than 20,000 miles across America, stopping at 109 pizzerias, eating 386 different pizzas to compile his list of the 25 Best Pizzas in America.
He also ranks the 10 best cities in America to eat pizza, which includes the likes of New York, Detroit (huh, what?), San Francisco, Chicago and New Haven. Glad to see both Providence and Boston make the list.
Pizza is a difficult food to pin down; yes, it’s essentially dough, sauce, cheese and toppings. But in those scant ingredients the pizza is different from location to location and every city has their own unique style, whether it’s grilled, deep dish, Sicilian, thin crust, tavern style, bar style, Greek, Neapolitan, artisanal, brick oven, coal fired, etc.
But there’s no truer maxim than “there may be pizza better than others, but there’s no such thing as bad pizza.” My grandpa said that once (probably not) and so this list is more of a primer, a road map to finding great pizza. Doesn’t mean the pizza you like isn’t good or doesn’t deserve recognition.
The List (courtesy of Slice)
01. Great Lake (Chicago)
02. Lucali (Brooklyn, NYC)
03. Pizzeria Delfina (San Francisco)
04. Pizzeria Bianco (Phoenix)
05. Bob & Timmy’s (Providence, R.I.)
06. Sally’s Apizza (New Haven, Conn.)
07. Tomato Pie (Los Angeles)
08. Co. Company (Manhattan, NYC)
09. Tacconelli’s (Philadelphia)
10. Totonno’s (Brooklyn, NYC)
11. Tarry Lodge (Port Chester, N.Y.)
12. Frank Pepe (New Haven, Conn.)
13. Luigi’s “the Original” (Harrison Township, Mich.)
14. Gialina (San Francisco)
15. Buddy’s (Detroit)
16. Antica Pizzeria (Marina Del Ray, Calif.)
17. A16 (San Francisco)
18. Al Forno (Providence, R.I.)
19. Galleria Umberto (Boston)
20. Famous Joe’s (Manhattan, NYC)
21. Tomatoes Apizza (Farmington Hills, Mich.)
22. Osteria (Philadelphia)
23. Santarpio’s (Boston)
24. Niki’s (Detroit)
25. Una Pizza Napoletana (Manhattan, NYC)
So, thoughts on pizza, styles, locations, etc. I will say, that the pizza in Portland has a few good spots, but I generally find it over-priced and not that good.